Residents noticed that Wingecarribee Shire Council (WSC) recently used the area on the southern approach to the village to store road-building materials.
The use of this area for storing materials has been discussed and residents agreed the following:
- Storage of materials on this site is unsightly and unnecessary as there are alternative storage locations available locally
- That WSC be asked to remove the existing gravel surface of the former Hume Highway, adjacent to the current roadway
- Landscape this area and foreground of the ‘Historic Berrima’ sign, thereby enhancing the appearance of the southern approach to the village
- Continue to work cooperatively with the adjacent landowner, who has recently undertaken major plantings nearby
- To discontinue use of the area as a storage depot
It was generally felt that such use of this area is inappropriate and inconsistent with promoting Berrima as a heritage attraction, and that a more attractive approach to the village can only be more appealing to tourists, thereby benefiting both residents and local business.